If you are new to the My Social Security Online Portal and are wondering how you can sign up for an account, we can help. In this article, we will provide you with detailed step-by-step instructions on how to create a My Social Security account.
We will also cover:
- Benefits of a mySocialSecurity Account
- MySocialSecurity Account Functions
- What you need to Create an Account
- How to Create a My Social Security Account
- How to Login your My Social Security Account
- My Social Security Account FAQs
For helping signing up for a mySocialSecurity online account, continue reading below.
About my Social Security Account
The mySocialSecurity online portal provides current and future Social Security recipients with immediate access to important information and tools related to Social Security benefits. The account allows you to securely access information from your Social Security record including earnings history, estimates of retirement, disability and survivor benefits.
Creating your online Social Security account is quick and easy. In fact, the entire application process should only take 10 minutes or less to complete. Once you’ve completed registration, you will have immediate access to the online portal.
Benefits of a MySocialSecurity Account
Whether you are currently receiving Social Security benefits or are applying for them, you should have a mySocialSecurity account. There are several benefits that come with a My Social Security account.
Some of the account benefits include:
- Personalized Retirement Benefit Estimates
- Paperless Social Security Notices
- Real-Time Application Status Updates
- Set-up or change your Direct Deposit
- Request a Replacement Social Security Card
- Access to the Representative Payee Portal
- Print your Social Security 1099 Form
- Get a Proof of Income Letter
- Submit a change to your Beneficiary Address
Account Benefits for Future Social Security Recipients
If you currently do not have Social Security benefits, you may be wondering why you should sign up for a mySocialSecurity account. That’s a great question. As a future Social Security recipient, there are many benefits to having a mySocialSecurity account.
The benefits of a My Social Security Account for a Future Recipient include:
Ability to Track your Current Retirement Benefits
The first benefit of having a mySocialSecurity account for future recipients includes the ability to view your current contributions to the Social Security program. This allows you to track the total amount of payroll deductions you’ve paid into the system.
Get an Estimate of Future Social Security Payments
The second benefit for future Social Security recipients includes a personalized estimate of your future Social Security payments during retirement. This is very useful information because it will help you determine which age is best for you to retire at.
The mySocialSecurity online account provides you with access to your current and future estimated Social Security retirement payments.
Should you become disabled and need Social Security benefits, you’ll be able to receive an estimate of how much you can expect to receive each month.
MySocialSecurity Account Functions
If you are future Social Security recipient, here is the full list of what you can do with a mySocialSecurity online account:
- Check your earnings record
- See how much you have paid into Social Security
- Get an estimate of your future Social Security payments
- Find out how much you will qualify for if you become disabled
- Determine what family members will receive if you pass away
- Keep your account up-to-date by changing your address or direct deposit information
- Request documentation – replacement Social Security card, replacement Medicare card, Benefit Verification Letter, etc.
Account Benefits for Current Social Security Recipients
If you are currently receiving Social Security benefits, having a mySocialSecurity account is even more important.
Here are some of the things you can do with your My Social Security account:
Set-up or Change your Direct Deposit
Since March 2013, the Social Security Administration no longer mails paper checks to benefit recipients. Social Security beneficiaries are now required to receive their monthly payments electronically.
With that said, as a Social Security recipient you will have to set up direct deposit to receive your benefits. If you do not have a direct deposit account to receive your benefits, you can also sign up for a Direct Express debit card account.
If you have a bank account, you can set up your direct deposit for payment of your Social Security benefits online through your mySocialSecurity account.
In addition, if you need to change your bank account for your Social Security direct deposit payment, you can do that online by using your account.
Check the status of your Social Security Application
If you’ve submitted an application for Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits, you can check the status of your application by logging in your mySocialSecurity account. In addition, if you have a pending reconsideration or hearing request, you can also check the status of those in your mySocialSecurity online account.
When you log into your my Social Security account to check the status of your application, your application status will show the following information:
- Re-entry number for a pending benefits application or appeal
- Date the Social Security Administration received your application or appeal
- Date and time for your scheduled hearing
- Address of office processing the claim or appeal
Get a Benefit Verification Letter
If you are applying for a loan, a mortgage or another government assistance program, you will be asked to provide proof of your income. You can request a Benefit Verification Letter by logging into your My Social Security Account. You can submit a request for proof of income and they will be able to provide that to you.
Other mySocialSecurity Account Functions
As a Social Security beneficiary, other functions you can perform using your mySocialSecurity account include:
- Request a replacement Medicare or Social Security card
- Request a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S (benefit summary forms mailed to you each January for your taxes)
- Check the status of a pending claim or appeal for Disability benefits
What you need to Create a MySocialSecurity Account
In order to successfully create your My Social Security online account, you will be required to verify your identity. Verification for Social Security benefits is done by providing some personal information about yourself. You may also be asked to answer some questions that only you would know the answer to.
It is important that you gather all the items needed for verification before applying for Social Security benefits.
You will need the following items to register your MySocialSecurity account:
- A valid email address and phone number
- Social Security Number (SSN) with proof for verification
- U.S. Mailing Address with proof (current government-issued ID or Passport)
- Proof of Age – at least 18 years of age (birth certificate)
How to Create a My Social Security Account
Follow the instructions below for help creating your mySocialSecurity online account.
1. Visit the SSA Website
2. Go to the mySocialSecurity Account Portal
Next, scroll down the page and click the mySocialSecurity button located on the left-side of the page. For help, please refer to the screenshot below.
3. Create an Account
Once you’re redirected to the mySocialSecurity portal, click the blue “Create an Account” button.
4. Create New Account
You will then be taken to another page where you will have to click the “Create New Account” button. This button is located at the top-right of the page.
5. Agree to the Terms of Service
Now you will begin the account creation process. First, before you can begin you must agree to the Terms of Service. Please review them and once complete, scroll to the bottom of the page. Click the “I Agree” box, then the “Next” button to continue.
6. Verify your Identity
The next step is to verify your identity by completing the requested personal information. This includes the following information:
- First name
- Last name
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Date of Birth
- Home Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
Once complete, check the box to upgrade your account security or continue with general setup. If you chose upgraded security, three options will pop up. Please proceed by selecting one of the options to complete. Once you have successfully completed the upgraded security check, click the “Next” button.
7. Answer the Security Questions
On the next page, you will be required to answer a set of security questions that only you would know the answer to. These questions are pulled from your credit report and pertain to your credit, loan, and residency history.
Once you have completed the security questions, click the “Next” button.
8. Verify your Phone Number or Email Address
You will now need to complete another layer of verification. This time by text message or email. Please select which you prefer and click the “Next” button.
Please wait for the security code to arrive to your phone or email. Once you receive it, enter the code into the provided field. Please note that this code will expire after 10 minutes.
9. Choose your Username & Password
After entering the correct security code, you can now choose your mySocial Security account Username and Password.
Your Username must be at least 8, but no more than 20 characters. It also cannot include your name or Social Security Number (SSN).
Your Password Begin must begin with a letter or number and be at least 8, but no more than 64 characters. It also must contain at least one uppercase and lowercase letter, a number, and symbol. Be sure to confirm your password by typing it twice.
10. Select your Account Security Questions
Once complete, scroll down the page and select your three security questions from the drop-down menu. These will be used to recover or reset any lost account information in the future.
11. Congrats – you’ve created your mySocialSecurity Account!
Congrats! If your information has been approved, you now have set up your mySocialSecurity account. You will see a message stating that you have completed your account registration. Proceed to your account homepage by clicking the “Next” button.
Once you’ve created your mySocialSecurity account, if you need help logging in, follow our quick guide below.
How to Login My Social Security Account
For a quick guide on how to login your mySocialSecurity account, follow the instructions provided below.
- Visit the Social Security Administration website at https://www.ssa.gov/.
- Click the Sign In button located at the top-right of the homepage.
- Access the mySocialSecurity portal by clicking the box located on the far left-side of the page.
- Enter your Username and Password, then click the “Sign In” button.
For more help, we suggest using the complete, in-depth “How to Login a mySocialSecurity account” guide here. We provide you with detailed instructions and screenshots that walk you through each step.
My Social Security FAQs
If you have more questions about Social Security benefits, including the mySocialSecurity online platform, check out our SSI FAQs below.
My Social Security Account Creation
We hope you found value in this post about how to create My Social Security account. If you found this article to be helpful, we please encourage you to share it with others. To do so, click the “Share this” button at the bottom of this post.
If you have any additional questions about creating your my Social Security account, please let us know in the comments section below. We are happy to help!