If you are a current My Social Security member, but can’t remember how to login your online account, we can help. In this article, we will walk you through the steps to successfully login your mySocialSecurity online account.
We will also cover:
- Benefits of a mySocialSecurity Account
- MySocialSecurity Account Functions
- How to Login my Social Security Account
- How to Create my Social Security Account
For help on how to login your mySocialSecurity online account, continue reading below.
About the My Social Security Account
The mySocialSecurity online portal provides current and future Social Security recipients with immediate access to important information and tools related to Social Security benefits. The account allows you to securely access information from your Social Security record including earnings history, estimates of retirement, disability and survivor benefits.
Creating your online Social Security account is quick and easy. In fact, the entire application process should only take 10 minutes or less to complete. Once you’ve completed registration, you will have immediate access to the online portal.
Benefits of a MySocialSecurity Account
Whether you are currently receiving Social Security benefits or are applying for them, you should have a mySocialSecurity account. There are several benefits that come with a My Social Security account.
Some of the account benefits include:
- Personalized Retirement Benefit Estimates
- Paperless Social Security Notices
- Real-Time Application Status Updates
- Set-up or change your Direct Deposit
- Request a Replacement Social Security Card
- Access to the Representative Payee Portal
- Print your Social Security 1099 Form
- Get a Proof of Income Letter
- Submit a change to your Beneficiary Address
Account Benefits for Future Social Security Recipients
If you currently do not have Social Security benefits, you may be wondering why you should sign up for a mySocialSecurity account. That’s a great question. As a future Social Security recipient, there are many benefits to having a mySocialSecurity account.
The benefits of a My Social Security Account for a Future Recipient include:
Ability to Track your Current Retirement Benefits
The first benefit of having a mySocialSecurity account for future recipients includes the ability to view your current contributions to the Social Security program. This allows you to track the total amount of payroll deductions you’ve paid into the system.
Get an Estimate of Future Social Security Payments
The second benefit for future Social Security recipients includes a personalized estimate of your future Social Security payments during retirement. This is very useful information because it will help you determine which age is best for you to retire at.
The mySocialSecurity online account provides you with access to your current and future estimated Social Security retirement payments.
Should you become disabled and need Social Security benefits, you’ll be able to receive an estimate of how much you can expect to receive each month.
MySocialSecurity Account Functions
If you are future Social Security recipient, here is the full list of what you can do with a mySocialSecurity online account:
- Check your earnings record
- See how much you have paid into Social Security
- Get an estimate of your future Social Security payments
- Find out how much you will qualify for if you become disabled
- Determine what family members will receive if you pass away
- Keep your account up-to-date by changing your address or direct deposit information
- Request documentation – replacement Social Security card, replacement Medicare card, Benefit Verification Letter, etc.
Account Benefits for Current Social Security Recipients
If you are currently receiving Social Security benefits, having a mySocialSecurity account is even more important.
Here are some of the things you can do with your My Social Security account:
Set-up or Change your Direct Deposit
Since March 2013, the Social Security Administration no longer mails paper checks to benefit recipients. Social Security beneficiaries are now required to receive their monthly payments electronically.
With that said, as a Social Security recipient you will have to set up direct deposit to receive your benefits. If you do not have a direct deposit account to receive your benefits, you can also sign up for a Direct Express debit card account.
If you have a bank account, you can set up your direct deposit for payment of your Social Security benefits online through your mySocialSecurity account.
In addition, if you need to change your bank account for your Social Security direct deposit payment, you can do that online by using your account.
Get a Benefit Verification Letter
If you are applying for a loan, a mortgage or another government assistance program, you will be asked to provide proof of your income. You can request a Benefit Verification Letter by logging into your My Social Security Account. You can submit a request for proof of income and they will be able to provide that to you.
Check the status of your Social Security Application
If you’ve submitted an application for Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits, you can check the status of your application by logging in your mySocialSecurity account. In addition, if you have a pending reconsideration or hearing request, you can also check the status of those in your mySocialSecurity online account.
When you log into your my Social Security account to check the status of your application, your application status will show the following information:
- Re-entry number for a pending benefits application or appeal
- Date the Social Security Administration received your application or appeal
- Date and time for your scheduled hearing
- Address of office processing the claim or appeal
Other mySocialSecurity Account Functions
As a Social Security beneficiary, other functions you can perform using your mySocialSecurity account include:
- Request a replacement Medicare or Social Security card
- Request a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S (benefit summary forms mailed to you each January for your taxes)
- Check the status of a pending claim or appeal for Disability benefits
For help on how to login your mySocialSecurity account, continue reading and follow the instructions below.
How to Login My Social Security Account
Follow the instructions below for help logging in mySocialSecurity online account.
1. Visit the SSA Website
The first step when completing the login for your mySocialSecurity account is to visit the Social Security Administration website. You can access the website at https://www.ssa.gov/.
2. Click the Sign In/Up Link
Once on the SSA website, click the “Sign In/Up” link located the the top-right of the page. For help, please refer to the screenshot below.
3. Access the mySocialSecurity Portal
Once you click the “Sign In” link, you will be taken to a new page where you can access the mySocialSecurity portal. To go to the Login page, click the far mySocialSecurity box on the far left-hand side of the page.
4. Enter your Username and Password
Once taken to the new page, you will see the Sign In portal, proceed by entering your mySocialSecurity account Username and Password. When complete, click the “Sign In” button.
5. Go to your mySocialSecurity Account Homepage
If you’ve successfully entered in your correct Username and Password, you should now be logged into your account. You can now access your mySocialSecurity account homepage.
If you currently do not have a My Social Security account, you first need to sign up and create an account. For help on how to create a mySocialSecurity account, follow the quick instruction guide below.
How to Create a My Social Security Account
For a quick guide on how to create your mySocialSecurity account, follow the instructions provided below.
- Visit the Social Security Administration website at https://www.ssa.gov/.
- Click mySocialSecurity button located on the bottom left-side of the page.
- On the new page, click the blue “Create an Account” button on the new page.
- Click the “Create New Account” button at the top-right of the page
- You will be taken to the Terms of Service page. After review, scroll to the bottom and click the box that says “I Agree,” then the “Next” button.
- Provide the requested personal information including first and last name, SSN, date of birth, home address, phone number, and email address.
- Once complete, check the box to upgrade your account security. After you have done that, three options will pop up and select one of the options to complete.
- After completing the security check, click the “Next” button.
- You will be required to answer a set of questions about your credit, loan and residency history that only you would know. Once complete, click the “Next” button.
- On the next page, choose how you would like to get your security code – by text message or email. Click “Next” when complete.
- Enter the security code sent to your phone or email. Please note that this code will expire after 10 minutes.
- After entering the correct code, you can now choose your Username and Password.
- Next, select your three security questions from the drop-down menu. These will be used to recover or reset any lost account information.
- Congrats! If your information has been approved, you now have set up your mySocialSecurity account.
For more help, we suggest using the complete, in-depth “How to Create a mySocialSecurity account” guide here. We provide you with detailed instructions and screenshots that walk you through each step.
My Social Security Account Login
We hope you found value in this post about how to login your mySocialSecurity account. If you found this article to be helpful, we please encourage you to share it with others. To do so, click the “Share this” button at the bottom of this post.
If you have any additional questions about logging into your my Social Security account, please let us know in the comments section below. We are happy to help! Also, be sure to check out our Social Security FAQs if you have more questions.